Friday, 22 November 2013

i think it's time to let this die

I suppose it's unfair to say that we're not friends.

I don't know if you even notice it. Maybe you don't; maybe you don't see how much you demand. Emotion is hard to come by when I'm talking to you, but I force it out anyway, because otherwise you don't know how to react. You move, then, to complaining and questioning why I'm not happy, not empathetic, with your news, not enthusiastic about what you have to say to me.

You say that I can talk to you, rely on you. It rings false every time you say it because, after all, it's not as if you ever come to me just to ask how I am, what's happening in my life, or even because you just want to talk to me. You've been told that doing this makes us feel unimportant, as though we are only friends for your convenience. You dismissed it, turned it back on us and questioned whether we would rather you didn't speak to us at all. Thank you for completely missing the point.

K says that we should let go. That this isn't healthy for us, and we obviously don't need you. We can do better than people like you. I wish there was a way to fix this, but to be honest, I'm not sure I want to if you're going to ignore how what you're doing hurts us.

Friendships are a two-way thing, don't you know? If every conversation is a constant rehashing of every other conversation we've had in the past about something that you can't change, about people that I barely even know, about how superior your relationships are, about how you're tired, about how you're stressed, about you, you, you, then I don't think I can make the effort anymore. If it's always going to be about you, I don't want to try.

I wonder if you would miss me if we weren't "friends".

No comments:

Post a Comment